Tolo01/14/2013By [Printer Friendly Version]
Afghan politicians have joined the senate in its disapproval of the decision for an earlier transition from US forces to Afghan forces this year.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai agreed with his US counterpart Barack Obama last week that Afghan security forces should take the lead on all matters of security by the spring, instead of the summer, while the foreign combat forces will move into a support role.
"From a technical point of view I don't agree with this decision because it's not for our interest and generally it's not a logical plan," former Afghan Minister of Interior and member of Rights and Justice party Hanif Atmar said Sunday. "Accelerating the process will put unnecessary pressure on the Afghan security forces."
Senators have also spoken out against the decision, saying Saturday that it will increase the challenges ahead of the 2014 presidential election to secure the country.
However, the Ministry of Defence (MOD) supported the move arguing that the abilities of the security forces are improving.
"There will be challenges definitely, but we have taken the risks into consideration in our planning," head of operational department of the MOD Afzal Aman said. "Our capabilities will increase if our air force is strengthened."
Meanwhile, other pundits argue that Afghanistan's security rests on more than the strength of the armed forces.
"The security forces can combat the Taliban, but foreign interference, corruption, drug trafficking and weak governance puts the government in a fragile position," former Deputy Minister of Interior Hadi Khalid said.
There are around 66,000 US troops in Afghanistan helping the Afghan military forces fight insurgency.